- Preparation of electronic guides and databases on the identification, biology, and zoogeography of the Shorefishes of the Neotropics (the Tropical Eastern Pacific and the Greater Caribbean).
- Geographic variation in the demography of tropical reef fishes in the Atlantic and Indo-Pacific.
- The biogeography of the shorefishes of the Tropical Eastern Pacific – relations to other regions, faunal structure, geographic patterns of diversity.
- The molecular historical biogeography of pantropical reef-fish genera, with particular reference to the origins and relationships of neotropical species.
- Assessing the effects of the rise of the isthmus of Panama on the life history characteristics of reef-fishes.
Online Information System
Robertson DR, Allen GR. 2008. Shorefishes of the tropical Eastern Pacific online information system; stri.si.edu/sftep