Senior Staff Scientist
Plant Physiology Program
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
P.O. Box 0843-03092
Republic of Panama
Tel. +507 212.8131
Fax +507 212.8148
Plant Physiology, Plant Ecophysiology
- Adaptation and acclimation of the photosynthetic apparatus to environmental stresses.
- Ecology, physiology, biochemistry, and evolution of succulent plants exhibiting crassulacean acid metabolism (CAM).
- Inhibition of photosynthesis by excess light, protective mechanisms against excess light (e.g. xanthophyll cycle).
- Carbon, water and ionic relationships of halophytes.
- Regulation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase.
- C4 photosynthesis.
- 13C discrimination.
- Ecophysiology of tropical trees, epiphytes, gap and understory plants.
- Responses of tropical plants to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations.
Academic qualifications, awards, positions held:
- (1972) Staatsexamen in Biology and Chemistry, Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany.
- (1972-75) Doctoral fellowship, Technical University of Darmstadt.
- (1975) Dr. rer. nat., graded summa cum laude, Botany Institute, Technical University of Darmstadt; U. Lüttge’s lab.
- (1975-77) Research Scientist (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter, supported by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft [German Grant Committee]), Botany Institute, Technical University of Darmstadt.
- (1978-79, two years) Postdoctoral fellow with C.B. Osmond, Department of Environmental Biology, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.
- (1980, one year) Postdoctoral research associate with G.E. Edwards, Department of Horticulture, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA.
- (1981-83) Habilitation Fellowship given by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft,Botany Institute, University of Würzburg, Germany.
- (1981) Heinz-Maier-Leibnitz-Prize given by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Science for research in photosynthesis.
- (1983) Dr. rer. nat. habil., Habilitation in Botany, Faculty of Biology, University of Würzburg.
- (1983) Heisenberg Fellowship given by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, Botany Institute, University of Würzburg.
- (1985) Professor of Botany (C 3), Faculty of Biology, University of Würzburg.
- (1989/90) Offered, but declined position of Full Professor (C 4) in Botany/Physiological Ecology, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- Staff Scientist since 1991, Senior Staff Scientist since 1998, Plant Physiology Program, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Republic of Panama.
- (2002) Highly cited researcher in the category Plant & Animal Science according to ISIHighlycited.com